Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Origin Story (part 1)

I don't remember a time when I didn't love music. I'm told that has a toddler I had a Mickey Mouse Club snare drum that I wore around my neck and played while toddling through the house. Apparently family would put records on and command me to start dancing like some trained monkey. To be honest, I probably didn't need much commanding. My mom would call me her little John Denver when I was a  child. I was blond, wore glasses, and was born at the right time (1973), so it makes sense. I guess all of these things were the foundation. I don't remember any of them first hand, but I've heard the stories a million times over.
The parts I do remember begin with a little portable record player I had in the bedroom I shared with my older brother Scott. I had a ton of Disney records, the soundtracks to those classic animated films are really my first musical memories. That type of music didn't last long though. My sisters were listening to stuff down the hall that intrigued my little ears. I quickly fell in love with bands like Fleetwood Mac, the Cars, and a little later the Go Go's. It was the popular music of the day, and I loved it.
I guess my transition album was the 1980 album "Chipmunk Punk". This Alvin and the Chipmunk's album was my introduction to many artists I would come to love later in life. Alvin and the boys covered "Refugee" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, "Call Me" by Blondie, and believe it or not "Good Girls Don't" by the Knack. I was 8 years old and officially bitten by the Rock and Roll bug. By the following year I had my own little transistor radio and I was listening to Top 40 AM radio any chance I got.
Part 2 -"The 80's" coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment