Friday, January 3, 2014

A Horse With No Name, But A Saturday Night Live Connection

I know that many consider their music as cheesy, corny, syrupy, or whatever other food related analogy you prefer, but I love the band America. The trio of Dewey Bunnell, Gerry Beckley, and Dan Peek created some very memorable hits in the 1970's and have become a staple of classic rock radio. "A Horse With No Name", "Ventura Highway", "Sister Golden Hair", are all perfect little 3 minute pop tunes that have stood the test of time. Great lyrics, beautiful harmonies, and catchy tunes, I keep going back to their 1975 greatest hits album again and again. I pulled it out a few minutes ago while I was thinking of a topic for my next blog when I was reminded of an interesting fact about the album that I thought I would share with you all.
Phil Hartman, the late great Saturday Night Live cast member, has a connection to America' Greatest Hits.  Hartman studied graphic design at Cal State Northridge and after graduation opened his own graphic arts business, which in 1975 was hired to design the cover for the aforementioned America album.
This wasn't his only contribution to the world of music at the time. His company designed over 40 different album covers in the mid to late 70's and was responsible for designing the classic Crosby Stills and Nash logo that we all know today.
Phil was a great comedic talent who tragically left us too early. But every time I look at this album cover I' m reminded of his skills as a graphic artist as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment