Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Synchronicity or Coincidence?

You probably saw the title of this blog and knowing that it is the musings of a music geek assumed that it had something to do with Sting or the Police. Not this time. Maybe later. This is music related though. I'm wondering if there is something amazing and mysterious about the story I am about to tell you or if it is truly just coincidence.
My wife April and I share many musical tastes. It was a love of the Beatles that brought us together as high school seniors. One place where are musical loves diverge however is on E Street. I am a huge fan of Bruce Springsteen, one of my rock idols. April however tolerates him at best. Just never been a big fan. That tidbit of history is needed to fully appreciate this story.
April works late nights at Safeway many nights a week. About two weeks ago she was working the 10PM to 6AM shift. Sometime that night I had a very vivid dream. I was at a record collectors convention browsing the booths, looking at the items people had brought to sell. In the dream I stumble upon a man selling mint condition copy of "The River" (my favorite Springsteen album) in the original vinyl. I buy it and walk out of the convention center. End of dream.
That morning about 6:30 I hear April come in the house. I go downstairs to greet her and start the coffee. She says to me, "I thought of you last night. The Safeway radio station played a Springsteen song I didn't know, something about a Cadillac, but it wasn't "Pink Cadillac". She starts to hum the song. I recognize it right away. I run upstairs, grab the Cd, say "is this it?' and pres play.
The song was "Cadillac Ranch", and yes ladies and gentlemen, it is on "The River." Was this coincidence or after twenty years together are my wife and I so psychically linked that she is sending signals to me from across town?
Would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.



1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking it's all about Tao...the natural harmony between you and your wife, being 'in the flow'. One time my husband and I were actually listening to Sting in my car on a tape on the way to Seattle, stopped in a quickie mart and heard the exact song playing inside the store. (On second thought, it might have been a Traveling Wilbury's tape.)

    Anyway, what do you mean musings from a geek might imply one was a Sting or Police fan? Sting is more than a musician. Sting is a metaphor. I fell in heart with Gordon in 'Dune'. You may not make fun of me. Long live True Geeks, and yes, I have attended a Sci-Fi Convention.

    ReplyDelete